Just a quick hack/mod this weekend. I got a promotional USB Drive during the week and wanted to do something interesting with it. I was looking for something to hide it in something interesting like a toy car or some Lego, but I'd seen that done many times. Then I thought, hang on, people call these USB sticks, why don't I create a Literal USB Stick! This has been done before (link) but I already had the drive and I have plenty of sticks in my backyard, plus buying things is no as much fun! Here's how I did it.
- Select your USB Drive.
- Select a stick that is thick enough to fit your USB Drive in.
- Cut the stick to the desired length.
- Sit your USB Drive on the end of the stick and trace around it.
- Plan and mark where to drill your holes to maximise the wood removal and minimise clean up later. I drilled three 5.5mm holes (see below).
- Figure out how deep you need to go and drill the holes.
- Cleanup the hole until your USB Drive fits in snuggly.
- Optionally silicon in your drive (mine seems tight enough without it for now).
- Action Shot!!